Re: profiler and/or debugger, loops vs vectorization

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: profiler and/or debugger, loops vs vectorization
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 15:26:13 -0500

On 05/07/06, David Grohmann <address@hidden> wrote:
unfortunately some of the loops are a little more complex then that, and
I'm a novice at matlab. The solution we will probably take is to just
make an oct file for that segment and write it in c++

Vectorising looks very hacky at first, but one gets used to it. It
would be nice to have JIT for Octave and allow for-loops galore, as I
guess that this is the greatest performance issue that newcomers to
Octave first observe, and it compares unfavourably with the
competition (on the upside, tic-tocking also reveals that several of
Octave's built-in functions perform better than the other leading
brand).

Unfortunately, a stroll through the mailing list archives reveals that
JIT is a very difficult thing to do. I wish I could contribute to it
myself, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

- Jordi G. H.

(With apologies to David Grohmann for sending this response twice. I
keep forgetting to message the list instead of individuals.)