Re: Uncorrelated random variables

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: Uncorrelated random variables
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 07:48:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Steve C. Thompson wrote:

Others will correct me if I'm wrong (I have only a
vague understanding of the exact algorithms used), but
I believe Octave uses the Mersenne Twister random
number generator to generate uniform random variables,
and the Marsalia-Tsang ziggurat method for generating
normal random variables.

I believe that you are correct about the generators, and the Mersenne Twister is uncorrelated for 2^19937-1 integers (aka about 10^6000 integers) before it is correlated. It's good enough for just about any scientific work, but it's not good for cryptography, though, for reasons I'm not qualified to explain.

Bill

--
"..that would require that my computer have enough processor speed and
memory to be able to rub its tummy and pat its head."