Re: error loading Matlab 5.0 binary : invalid element type

From: Marco Scoffier
Subject: Re: error loading Matlab 5.0 binary : invalid element type
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 00:44:44 -0500

Hello David and John,
Thank you for your responses,

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:15:30 +0200, David Bateman wrote:
> I suspect the problem is exactly what it says. That there is an invalid
> element type "for octave". That is octave doesn't implement certain of
> the matlab types in matlab files. These include anything of the
> mxOBJECT_CLASS which is used to store things like inline functions, and
> graphics handles, or of the mxFUNCTION_CLASS. Note similar functionality
> is implemented in the octave file type though. Another thing that might
> stop a matlab file being loaded is if you use a complex integer type
> like mxINT32_CLASS as octave implements only real integer types...

Yes David I found that the manual also states that there are types not
supported by Octave (though in less detail than your email).  I don't have
access to MatLab right now, but I will be able to test tomorrow to be
certain of what type I am trying to import.

 On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:10:46 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:

> If you think you have found a bug in Octave, please submit a complete
> bug report to the address@hidden list.  It would help if you included at
> least the version of Octave you are using and a complete test case that
> demonstrates the problem.  Is there a small file that also fails to
> load?
>
> For other bug reporting tips, please see
> http://www.octave.org/bugs.html.

John,  I am not sure there is a bug because I am not sure what kind of
file I am trying to import (publicly available dataset).  I put a single
.mat file on my webserver if anyone is interested in trying this out (I
will be able to tomorrow):

http://metm.org/export/annotation_0001.mat

If this seems like a bug I will be happy to submit it,

Thanks for the pointers,

--
Marco