Re: building octave 2.9.5 on Tiger

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: building octave 2.9.5 on Tiger
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 12:31:00 -0600

on 6/24/06 10:59 AM, Daniel Oberhoff at address@hidden wrote:

> I have 2.9.6. I only started using it because I could not get 2.1.7
> to cleanly configure and install (but maybe I did something wrong and
> should try again). What are those files anyhow? Because to me the
> installation seems a little slim, there is only the octfiles, a
> PKG_ADD file and m files besides the binaries. No startup scripts or
> such whatsoever.
>
> Daniel

Daniel,

If you just want a working copy of octave-2.1.73 with octave-forge for
normal work, go to hpc.sourceforge.net and install the binaries from there.
The installation is relatively easy with the instructions given there.

The only disadvantage I can think of for using the HPC approach is that the
HPC binaries were not built for the dependencies on your particular machine.
Some obscure things (like reading some image formats) may not work, but the
day-to-day stuff works fine.

Joe