Re: building octave 2.9.5 on Tiger

From: Daniel Oberhoff
Subject: Re: building octave 2.9.5 on Tiger
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:59:27 +0200

I have 2.9.6. I only started using it because I could not get 2.1.7 to cleanly configure and install (but maybe I did something wrong and should try again). What are those files anyhow? Because to me the installation seems a little slim, there is only the octfiles, a PKG_ADD file and m files besides the binaries. No startup scripts or such whatsoever.

Daniel

Am Jun 24, 2006 um 6:38 PM schrieb John W. Eaton:

| I remember seeing a similar problem when I was messing around with 2.95+ | on my PowerMac. I was using the fink compiler, so it isn't an artifact | of using the Apple compiler. In my case, it was a problem of startup | files not being run properly. This was a while ago, so I don't remember | very well, but it seems like whatever scripts went through and aliased | function names to OCT files were messed up. This made it so min, max, | and gnuplot stuff didn't work. It may have been a problem of me having | 2 sets of startup files; one in /usr/local/* for an older CVS version | and one in /opt/* for the 295+ CVS version and for some reason it was
| finding the older startup scripts.

Yes, I think there was a bug in one of the Makefiles in 2.9.5 which
caused the install target to miss a few files.  I don't remember the
details, but this problem is fixed in 2.9.6, which at this point is
what I would recommend you try instead of 2.9.5 if you want to work
with Octave 2.9.x.

jwe