Re: Greek symbols in plot labels

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Greek symbols in plot labels
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:57:13 -0600

On 6/19/06, Ron Crummett <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi -

I am trying to add a label to a plot and the label is comprised of both
standard characters and Greek characters, for instance, "Frequency
between 0 and 2<pi>"  Of course, I want to use the actual character for
pi in the label.  This should be doable by setting my terminal type to
an enhanced type and issuing the command

xlabel('Frequency between 0 and 2{/Symbol p}');

However, when I do this, the entire label is displayed in Greek
characters and hence makes no real sense.  When I issue the command a
second time from the terminal it works.  But when I try issuing the
command twice in a script it doesn't work.  Is there something more I
need to do?  I know that technically this would be considered a gnuplot
question but it doesn't give problems in gnuplot leading me to believe
that the issue is somewhere in Octave-gnuplot interaction.

Using octave  2.9.5 (Fedora Core 5) the following seems to work fine:

octave:1> s=randn(10);
octave:2> xlabel('Frequency between 0 and 2{/Symbol p}');
octave:3> plot(s)
octave:4> print("testps.ps", "-dpsc2")

(I can send you the output file privately.)

So, tell us in more details about your configuration and the command
sequence you use for plots. If your octave is rather old, make sure
you have set automatic_replot to 0.

Thanks

-Ron

Sincerely,