Re: misbehavior in Octave 2.9.4 for OS/2

From: Joan Picanyol i Puig
Subject: Re: misbehavior in Octave 2.9.4 for OS/2
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 23:21:21 +0200

* Dushan Mitrovich <address@hidden> [20060616 23:04]:
> "John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >On 16-Jun-2006, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
> > You have some lines that don't end in semicolons.
>
> Yes, that's because I found that if I end all assignment lines with semi-
> colons, when I call the function no results are printed.  When I remove
> the semicolons from the result lines, Octave does print the result.  Is
> this not the expected behavior?

Yes, it is expected. Try 'help silent_functions' at the octave prompt.
However, when developing multiple functions things can get messy. I
follow the strategy of terminating "interesting" lines in a function
with a colon, and I put the following at the beginning and end of every
function:

    if(exist('OCTAVE_VERSION'))
        old_silent_functions = silent_functions;
        silent_functions = 1;
    end
    [...]
    if(exist('OCTAVE_VERSION'))
        silent_functions = old_silent_functions;
    end

This way, I can tune verbosity in a function by function basis.

qvb
--
pica