Help with fopen and fread

From: Glenn Oliver
Subject: Help with fopen and fread
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 15:43:24 -0700 (PDT)

I am new to Octave and to Linux in general.  I am trying to port over some
working matlab code to a Linux Red Hat ES4 server running Octave 2.1.57 and
am getting errors in opening my input file.  I am trying now to run this on
my home machine where I have installed Octave 2.1.73 and get the same
errors.  My input file is binary and resides co-incidental with the .m file.

Code in question is simple and works in matlab 7.13:
fid = fopen("filename","r","ieee-be");
freport
[samplenum,countsamp] = fread(fid,Inf,"uint32",44,"ieee-be");

I get this from freport:
  number  mode  arch       name
  ------  ----  ----       ----
     0       r  ieee_little_endian  stdin
     1       w  ieee_little_endian  stdout
     2       w  ieee_little_endian  stderr

and the error returned is this:
error: fread: invalid stream number = -1
error: called from `test_processor:get_incsum_tflp_from_raw' in file
`/octave_files/test_processor.m'
error: called from `test_processor' in file `/octave_files/test_processor.m'

I can use any suggestions offered as this has been a real hitch in
completely automating a task on a server which heretofore has required an
Engineer to do each day.

Thank you,
Glenn Oliver