Re: question about the function 'fmins'

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: question about the function 'fmins'
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:58:35 +0200

For fitting by ML, I have some code in octave-forge that should do the trick. Just examine the file mle_example.m, in the main/econometrics subdir to see how to use it. Here's some sample output:

octave:1> mle_example

analytic score, unscaled data

Poisson MLE trial

MLE Estimation Results
BFGS convergence: Normal convergence

Average Log-L: -1.632551
Observations: 1000

         estimate     st. err      t-stat     p-value
beta1       1.013       0.011      93.503       0.000
beta2       1.994       0.015     133.783       0.000
beta3       2.996       0.002    1342.586       0.000

Information Criteria
CAIC : 3288.8256      Avg. CAIC:   3.2888
 BIC : 3285.8256       Avg. BIC:   3.2858
 AIC : 3271.1023       Avg. AIC:   3.2711

Cheers, Michael

Tracy Feldman wrote:
To whom it may concern:
I recently downloaded Octave (I believe it is the most recent version) onto a windows machine (2000? I am not sure, sorry), and am starting to convert Matlab files (that had worked correctly) into Octave files. I am running into problems with the search algorithm 'fmins' (I had previously used 'fminsearch' in Matlab, and I believe this is the appropriate alternative in Octave?). Specifically, I wish to minimize a likelihood function, and I wish fmins to return *both* the Maximum likelihood estimate (it is negative, so it is actually a minimum) and a vector with the best fit parameters to the model I am fitting (in this case, a logistic equation, binomially distributed). I tried doing it this way: [BestFitParametersVector, MaximumLikelihoodEstimate] = fmins(@LikelihoodFunction, InitialParametersVector, [], [], TrialsVector, SuccessesVector, Density, LowerBoundsVector, UpperBoundsVector); But the program did not accept two elements in left side of the equation, specifying what the function returns. Is there a way to get the function to return both of the things I want it to return? I am not sure how best to define these "returned" variables in the Likelihood function itself (if this is necessary), or to specify that the function return these variables? I would appreciate any ideas you might have on this. Please let me know if you need more information from me (or if more code might help). If possible, please respond directly to address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>, as I am not subscribed to the help list. Thank you in advance. Sincerely, Tracy S. Feldman

http://mail.yahoo.com