Re: gnuplot alternatives on Windows

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: gnuplot alternatives on Windows
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 12:29:42 -0600

On 5/30/06, Quentin Spencer <address@hidden> wrote:

Basically, we have a windows-based data collection system, and I would
like to use octave to visualize data in near real-time as it's being
collected to verify that I have what I want. So, the plotting is the
application in this case. The data collection will involve travel to a
remote site, and it is important to verify while on site that we have
good data so that the trip doesn't need to be repeated. Then I can do
all the post-processing I want (on Linux, my preferred platform) when I
get back to the office.

Doing some data reduction to speed it up is an option, but it's
frustrating to see Matlab plot something big in a couple of seconds and
then watch octave and gnuplot spend close to a full minute doing the
same thing. Supposedly the gnuplot folks are working on this, though.

Quentin,

I think one of the problem with gnuplot and run-time graphics is that
gnuplot has to re-plot entire data set every time you add a single data
point. It is really a batch-oriented plotting tool.
Have you looked at GNU plotutils? Unlike gnuplot they can add a
point to existing plot without re plotting entire dataset. There is
no existing octave interface, but since plotutils can take data from stdin
you should be able to hack one...

Quentin

Sincerely,
Dmitri.