Re: gnuplot alternatives on Windows

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: gnuplot alternatives on Windows
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 10:28:09 -0500

Robert A. Macy wrote:

Uh, ....when you plot, you're just "looking" at the data,
not preserving it.  So why show it all?

I have a similar problem when the data set is large number
of  complex values specially mesh plotted for a 3d effect.

So before I plot, I just run the data set a few times
through my "reducrows.m and reducecolumns.m" programs.

Basically, we have a windows-based data collection system, and I would like to use octave to visualize data in near real-time as it's being collected to verify that I have what I want. So, the plotting is the application in this case. The data collection will involve travel to a remote site, and it is important to verify while on site that we have good data so that the trip doesn't need to be repeated. Then I can do all the post-processing I want (on Linux, my preferred platform) when I get back to the office.

Doing some data reduction to speed it up is an option, but it's frustrating to see Matlab plot something big in a couple of seconds and then watch octave and gnuplot spend close to a full minute doing the same thing. Supposedly the gnuplot folks are working on this, though.

Quentin