Spectragrams and stft's, oh my

From: Rich E
Subject: Spectragrams and stft's, oh my
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 03:38:28 -0700

I'm taking a class on computer music that is based on Matlab, and I'm trying to do everything in Octave.  It's been tough because we start in a new language with digital signal processing.  I know matlab to an ok degree, but I hate it and its memory problems.  But, the functions don't seem to operate the same, so I was wondering if anyone could point me towards any tutorials that use spectragrams and stft manipulations in octave.

My biggest problem, other than syntax, is getting the imagesc()  to make something that is worth looking at.  The example in the specgram.m comments works fine, but everything I try to do on my own produces 2 images; one that is really zoomed in, and another tiny one that controls the zoomed in one.  Not that useful because I can't get an overall look of the spectragram.

So here is what I attempted without specgram.  Don't know why it won't work.

x is 3 seconds long at 44k sr
wx = 512, hopx = 128, nfft = wx;

[ X,xc] = stft(x,wx,hopx,nfft);

If I try imagesc(log(abs(X)+ eps));  I get errors that don't tell me much, other than this is not how to do it.  But, this is how it is done in matlab.

Any guidance is appreciated.
Regards,
Richie