Re: Compile Octave 2.1.73 in SuSE 10.1

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Compile Octave 2.1.73 in SuSE 10.1
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 20:07:20 -0500

Renato S. Yamane wrote:

Hi,
I install SuSE 10.1 from DVD and this distro don't have octave.

I try compile version 2.1.73 from www.octave.org, but I receive very
errors messages:

checking whether g++ prepends an underscore to external names... no
checking for sin in -lm... yes
checking for H5Pcreate in -lhdf5... no
checking fftw3.h usability... no
checking fftw3.h presence... no
checking for fftw3.h... no
checking for MPI_Init in -lmpi... no
checking for IEEE 754 data format... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for g77... no
checking for f77... no
checking for xlf... no
checking for frt... no
checking for pgf77... no
checking for fort77... no
checking for fl32... no
checking for af77... no
checking for f90... no
checking for xlf90... no
checking for pgf90... no
checking for epcf90... no
checking for f95... no
checking for fort... no
checking for xlf95... no
checking for ifc... no
checking for efc... no
checking for pgf95... no
checking for lf95... no
checking for gfortran... no
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether  accepts -g... no
checking for f2c... no
configure: WARNING: in order to build octave, you must have a compatible
configure: WARNING: Fortran compiler or f2c installed and in your path.
configure: error: See the file INSTALL for more information.

I search by fortran in YaST but all packages is installed (ctags, ddd,
gcc, gdb).
Gfortran and F2C don't exist in YaST (official repository).

$uname -a
Linux mandachuva 2.6.16.13-4-default #1 Wed May 3 04:53:23 UTC 2006 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I don't use SuSE, but if it has gcc 4 or newer, the fortran compiler is gfortran.

Quentin