Re: Usenet newsgroup for Octave proposed

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Usenet newsgroup for Octave proposed
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:26:03 -0400

On 17-May-2006, Robert A. Macy wrote:

| I concur.
|
| Octave group is exactly the right balance between formality
| and informality.  Especially handy is direct access to any
| individual posting.  The netiquette is very good.  And
| people feel free to ask "newbie" questions without fear.
|
| Usenet is perfect for truly HIGH volume, "generic" mail
| subjects.  Usenet downside is the horrific increase in spam
| one gets even with their munged addresses, somehow the
| spammers find you.
|
| It is a fine accolade that octave is coming of age to the
| extent that people consider moving octave group to Usenet.
|
| However, ...
| PLEASE keep octave group the octave group.

I think it would be more effective if you posted this to the Usenet
discussion about this topic as that's where the decision will be made.
I just wanted to let people here know that someone had proposed the
creation of a newsgroup.  If you have an opinion about that, then let
the people who are discussing the group know about it.  Also
discussing it here is OK, but you should know that whatver happens on
this list will probably have minimal impact on the ultimate decision
of whether the group is or isn't created.

Thanks,

jwe