Re: Getting Octave running

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: Getting Octave running
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 17:56:40 -0700 (PDT)

Top formatted; reformatting...

--- findtype wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Thanks for the good advice.
>
> The download was from
>       sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id-2888
>
> The "Package" was
>      octave_forge_windows
>
> The "Release" was
>      Octave 2.1.73 for Windows Installer  March 24, 2006
>
> As far as I understand, the installation was done by my Windows 98, and "Gnu
> Octave 2.1.73" does appear on the list of Windows programs.
>
> But I notice that a file "cygwin1.dll" was unpacked.  So, maybe Windows
> launched Cygwin, but  "Cygwin" does not appear on the list of programs.
>
> Just guessing.  Should I have tried the installation another way?
>
> Paul

You have noticed that there is a cygwin.dll; this is created by the cygwin
project but distributed in this case by octave-forge with their windows
package.

The creator of the octave-forge package needs now to respond to your
difficulty; I package a version of octave that is distributed at by the cygwin
project at http://www.cygwin.com.  Not to wave my own flag, but the cygwin
version is probably better tested at this point than the current octave-forge
version.  If you want to try that, I can be of more assistance.