Re: PLplot and Octave

From: Rafael Laboissiere
Subject: Re: PLplot and Octave
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:13:05 +0200

* Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso <address@hidden> [2006-05-10 14:24]:

> On 5/10/06, Rafael Laboissiere <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Could you please test with the packages at:
> >
> >     http://people.debian.org/~rafael/plplot/
>
> I did what you suggested, and the behaviour is identical. I tried it
> both with the 2.1 and 2.9 branch of Octave and with the newer packages
> you offered.

Sorry, I missed the point in your original post.  Octave also crashes for
me after killing the first window.  This is an upstream problem with the
xwin driver, which I do not know how to fix.  Under normal conditions, it
should be possible to switch to other drivers like this:

    toggle_plplot_use
    plsetopt ("dev", "gcw");

However, this is not working properly with the current package and needs
further investigation.

At any rate, the crash problem seems to not happen with other drivers.
You might try the following: make a local copy of one of the scripts
/usr/share/doc/libplplot9/examples/octave/x??c.m and change the line:

    plsdev("xwin");

    plsdev("gcw");

You will then see that it is possible to kill the window between
successive calls of x??c without crashing Octave.

I will get in touch with the upstream author of PLplot_Octave in order to
get these issues straighten out.

--
Rafael