Re: Problem With Solving Matrix Equations

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: Problem With Solving Matrix Equations
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 15:34:28 -0400 (EDT)

What version of octave are you using?

What operating system are you using it on?

Where did you download it or how did you install it?

Bill

On Wed, 10 May 2006, MoneyHaus wrote:

The problem I am having with Octave seems rather elementary, but I can't seem
to get my head around it. Solving linear equations using the "\" operator,
such as x=A\B, just won't ever work for me.

For example, the following should solve easily, yet my Octave installation
(latest) won't:

octave:17> A=[0,2,0,1;2,2,3,2;4,-3,0,1.;6,1,-6,-5];
octave:18> B=[0;-2;-7;6];
octave:19> inv(A)*B
ans =

 -0.50000
  1.00000
  0.33333
 -2.00000

octave:20> A\B
warning: matrix singular to machine precision, rcond = nan
warning: attempting to find minimum norm solution

And there it stops... it'll just sit there and never solve before. I'm
pretty sure I shouldn't be getting those warning messages to being with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!