Mac OS Installation Questions

From: Ed Selden
Subject: Mac OS Installation Questions
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 00:37:05 -0700

I'll start by saying that I know only a little about the lower levels of the
OS, so I may need to be referred to other written material for novices if
anything like that exists.

Environment: New Intel Mac running Tiger.

Questions:
1. I downloaded the binary file (went to desktop), and from the terminal
window performed the command "sudo tar -xvf octave-bin.tar -C /" as
specified in the directions on the HPC Mac OS site.  Typing "octave",
however, does not work.  What do I need to do? I didn't locate anything
named octave either.  (Note, I later noticed that by double clicking on the
octave tar file in the Mac OS download window, a /usr/local/ set of files
was produced on the desktop.  I assume I can't use this, correct?)

2. The site also recommends downloading AquaTerm and gnuplot.  When I went
to the AquaTerm site, the download was for PowerPC, so I'm skeptical it will
work so I didn't download it.  Will it work?  Is it needed for octave to
run?  The same goes for gnuplot?

Thanks for any help,
Ed Selden