Re: Google's "summer of code"

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Google's "summer of code"
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:43:49 -0600

Etienne Grossmann wrote:
>   It's too late, unfortunately :-(
>
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 04:38:54PM -0400, Etienne Grossmann wrote:
> #
> #   Hi All,
> #
> # could Google's "summer of code" [1] be of use to Octave?
> #
> #   If you think it could, you should be quick, as mentoring
> # institutions should declare their interest by yesterday. I don't know
> # whether the deadline is extendible; I just sent the question to Google
> # about accepting U. of Montreal, and am awainting their answer.
> #
> #   Etienne
> #
> # [1] http://code.google.com/soc/tos.html
> # ======================================================================
> # Summary of the Summer of Code Program
> #
> # The Summer of Code is a program in which Google provides student
> # developers with a stipend to create new open source programs or to
> # help currently established projects. Google will be working with a
> # variety of open source, free software and technology related groups to
> # identify and fund up to several hundred projects over a 3 month time
> # span. The inaugural instance of the program, which took place during
> # the summer of 2005, brought together 400 students and 40 mentor
> # organizations from 49 countries; were looking to add additional mentor
> # organizations and student participants this year.
> #
> # Google will provide a stipend of 5,000 USD per developer, of which
> # 4500 USD goes to the student and 500 USD to the mentoring organization
> # upon successful completion of a project. Students will be paid 500 USD
> # upon acceptance of their application to the program, 2000 USD
> # mid-program provided sufficient progress has been made on their
> # project, and 2000 USD at close of program provided their project has
> # been completed; mentor organizations will receive their payment
> # regardless of a student's successful completion of the project so long
> # as the organization has made a good effort to work with the
> # student. Additional details regarding the mechanics of the Summer of
> # Code Program appear later in these Terms of Service and in our Program
> # FAQs for Mentor Organizations and Students
> # ======================================================================
> #
> # --
> # Etienne Grossmann ------ http://www.cs.uky.edu/~etienne

Well, I went ahead and started a group action at fundable.org.  We'll
see if it works out.  The company where a co-worker's wife works may be
interested in donating to this effort.  They are a small company (~10
people) who have found the cost of Matlab prohibitve in recent years and
are in the process of switching to Octave.  Anyone interested can see it at

https://www.fundable.org/groupactions/octave_handle_graphics

John Swensen