Google's "summer of code"

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Google's "summer of code"
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 16:38:54 -0400

  Hi All,

could Google's "summer of code" [1] be of use to Octave?

  If you think it could, you should be quick, as mentoring
institutions should declare their interest by yesterday. I don't know
whether the deadline is extendible; I just sent the question to Google
about accepting U. of Montreal, and am awainting their answer.

  Etienne

[1] http://code.google.com/soc/tos.html
Summary of the Summer of Code Program

The Summer of Code is a program in which Google provides student
developers with a stipend to create new open source programs or to
help currently established projects. Google will be working with a
variety of open source, free software and technology related groups to
identify and fund up to several hundred projects over a 3 month time
span. The inaugural instance of the program, which took place during
the summer of 2005, brought together 400 students and 40 mentor
organizations from 49 countries; were looking to add additional mentor
organizations and student participants this year.

Google will provide a stipend of 5,000 USD per developer, of which
4500 USD goes to the student and 500 USD to the mentoring organization
upon successful completion of a project. Students will be paid 500 USD
upon acceptance of their application to the program, 2000 USD
mid-program provided sufficient progress has been made on their
project, and 2000 USD at close of program provided their project has
been completed; mentor organizations will receive their payment
regardless of a student's successful completion of the project so long
as the organization has made a good effort to work with the
student. Additional details regarding the mechanics of the Summer of
Code Program appear later in these Terms of Service and in our Program
FAQs for Mentor Organizations and Students

Etienne Grossmann ------ http://www.cs.uky.edu/~etienne