Re: Octave/MatLab to C/C++

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: Octave/MatLab to C/C++
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 10:55:48 -0600

Jens Ruecknagel wrote:
> I did some research on an Octave Compiler,
>
> I wrote an university paper on compiling Octave. But only implemented a
> proof of concept compiler. If you want to implement an Octave compiler
> (this might be faster done than rewriting your files ;-) ) I can assist you.
>
> If you want a ready compiler: sorry I don't have one.
>

> Jens
>

> Remi VIEUX schrieb:
>
>> Hi everyone.
>> I would like to convert a program created for MatLab
>> into a standalone application ie. written in C/C++,
>> and if possible, I 'd like to avoid doing it manually
>> as far as possible. I know that the MatLab compiler
>> can generate C/C++ code from MatLab .m files,
>>

> Does it??? As I understand it, the Matlab compiler generates a binary
> file (such as a DLL) and C++ wrapper code for your m-files. This way you
> won't be able to prot it on other platforms than Windows.
>
> Read: http://www.mathworks.com/products/compiler/description1.html
>

>> and was
>> wondering if such tool exists also in Octave, since I
>> don't have a license for MatLab compiler. If you have
>> heard about any tools to help me out, your help would
>> be appreciated. It is not necessary for the
>> translation to be in C/C++, any programming language
>> could do :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Remi

The Matlab compiler *does* generate C code from the M files.  It then
compiles this code to a DLL automatically.  The problem is that it is
like any other auto-code generation tool...it is hard to read.  The
generated C code uses an API similar to the octave C/C++ API, where
things are accessed as matrices and array and then a bunch of non-object
oriented functions (often with strange or cryptic names) for performing
standard math operations on the various kinds of data you are using.

In essence, it just ends up being a MEX function.

John