RE: Mkoctfile cygwin

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: RE: Mkoctfile cygwin
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:58:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Keshab Man Shrestha (Dr)"  wrote:

> I think I installed Octave via cygwin using the posting by John at the
> following address
>

> http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/octave/README.Windows?r
> ev=1.13

These install instructions are clearly dated "Wed Jan 14 13:37:15 2004".  They
have been outdated for cygwin installs, since octave entered the normal net
distribution of cygwin as an available package.  As I said earlier, the only
way to get a valid cygwin install of octave is to use the setup.exe from
cygwin, and download the package from a cygwin mirror.

The instructions you refer to do have some value in installing from source, but
I don't think that is what you really want to do.  The cygwin package version
is up to octave-2.1.73, and will install compatible versions of fft3 and
lapack.  You really should install this way to avoid the pain of building all
these things yourself.  You also have the option to install a compatible binary
version of octave-forge.

After installing cygwin octave, it is necessary to check that you also have the
cygwin gcc 3.3 compiler installed, rather than 3.4.  This is annoying, as
setup.exe always offers to upgrade to 3.4.  But C++ compilation in cygwin gcc
3.4 is basically broken, so cygwin octave is built with gcc 3.3, and you must
use that to build compatible .oct files.

jrp