Re: chol?

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: chol?
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 11:00:16 -0600

on 4/16/06 5:35 AM, Vic Norton at address@hidden wrote:

> On 4/15/06, at 9:32 PM -0600, Joe Koski wrote:
>> At least there's hope. Gaurav Khanna reported that when he built
>> octave-2.1.73, etc. on an Intel Mac with OS X 10.4.6, all went well.
>> Now we just need to nag Apple to get the G5 version of 10.4.6 working
>> correctly.
>>
>> Joe
>
> Well, to tell you the truth, Joe, I'm not crazy about nagging. I like to
> buy things that work right from the start. In any case I still have the
> HPC version of Octave 2.1.71 installed on my machine. That works fine on
> chol:
>
>    #!/usr/local/bin/octave-2.1.71
>
>    C = [36 24; 24 25];
>    chol(C)
>
> produces
>
>    ans =
>
>      6  4
>      0  3
>    Upper Triangular
>
> I guess I'll go back to Octave 2.1.71. The commands
>
>    $ cd /usr/local/bin
>    $ ln -fs octave-2.1.71 octave
>    $ ln -fs octave-bug-2.1.71 octave-bug
>    $ ln -fs octave-config-2.1.71 octave-config
>
> should do it I would think.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vic
Vic,

I think that there is one more symbolic link in /usr/local/bin to change for
mkoctfile.

An idea that has occurred to me is to make a "fat" binary for octave on an
Intel machine and see if it works on the G5. I'll ask Guarav if he has time
and the machine to try that approach. (Anyone got a spare Intel iMac lying
around?)

After watching the Apple lists for a while, you notice that the Apple folks
are very tight lipped about their problems and when or if they might be
fixed.

Joe