Octave/Matlab compatability question

From: James Frye
Subject: Octave/Matlab compatability question
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 10:01:26 -0700 (PDT)

I have a question about Octave/Matlab compatability.  From reading the
FAQ & wiki, I got the impression that Octave would run pretty much all
Matlab code.  Yet I have a package of code that I want to run, and I
encounter what seem to be fundamental language issues.

(I should mention that I don't really know much of anything about Matlab:
I just need to run this particular package.)

The package README file states:

> Congradulations on downloading your very own version of the Toolbox of
> Level Set Methods.  If you can read this, you have successfully
> unpacked the tarball or zipfile and have all of the routines ready to
> access.
>
> To use this toolbox, you will need to run the basic version of Matlab
> (tests have been performed on version 6.5, but earlier version 6.* may
> work).  No additional toolboxes are required.

Yet when I try to run the examples, I get errors like

  "error: 'run' undefined near line 3 column 1"

Here's a cut-down version of the .m file, with just the offending line:

---
function [ data, g, data0 ] = bug (flowType, accuracy, displayType)

%run('../addPathToKernel');
---

The 'addPathToKernel file just contains a line

  addpath(genpath('/home/me/src/fsweep/Kernel'));

which gives an "addpath undefined" error if I include it directly.

So what could I be doing wrong here?  I'm running the most recent version
of Octave (2.1.73).  The files in the package have dates up to June 04,
which is not _that_ old, so I wouldn't have expected major language
changes.  I'm pretty well stumped...

Thanks,
James