win octave and emacs

From: Rich E
Subject: win octave and emacs
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 00:35:52 -0700

Hello,

I'm new to Octave, which I just installed, and I'm trying to get it to run within Emacs.  I have found directions that direct me in doing this, but i need to find the .emacs settings file first.  Once I do this, I should paste

(autoload 'octave-mode "octave-mod" nil t)
(setq auto-mode-alist
(cons '("\\.m$" . octave-mode) auto-mode-alist))

and a couple other things in there. But, I don't know where the .emacs settings file is.
Does anyone know how I can get Emacs running with Octave in Windows?

Thanks,
Richie