Re: New Octave for Windows sourceforge release

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: New Octave for Windows sourceforge release
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:40:08 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Doug Stewart wrote:

Could you please tell me Exactly what to do to have the edit.m to actually work in windows.

1) the email address
2) create and edit a new file in  /octave_files.

OK, here is what works for me

edit('editor', '"C:/Program Files/emacs/emacs-21.3/bin/runemacs" "`cygpath -wa
%s`"');
edit('home', [getenv('USERPROFILE') '/My Documents/octave_files']);
edit('email', [getenv('USERNAME') '@' getenv('HOSTNAME')]);
edit('author', getenv('USERNAME'));

Note that the first line needs to all be on one line.

This correctly sets the editor to be emacs (the way it's installed on my system). It sets the home directory to be the "My Documents/octave_files" directory (under the current user's home directory). It sets the email and author's name to a reasonable value (though likely incorrect for email).

You have to use the functional form for setting the variables because they all have spaces in them, and the spaces are interpreted as separate arguements to octave when in command mode.

Bill

--
"Sometimes, I think Trent just needs a cup of hot chocolate and a
blankie."