Re: How to open a .m File

From: Steve C. Thompson
Subject: Re: How to open a .m File
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:16:13 -0800

On 31 Mar 06 00:51AM, Markus Feldmann wrote:
> I didn't use Windows, only Linux Debian.  Therfore I only work
> in my shell.  I am start octave by type in octave and press
> enter.  And then i wanna open my matlab file, but how do i do
> that?

An m-file is just a text file so you can edit it with any text
editor.  If you don't yet have a favorite, there are many to
experiment with.  gedit or kate are easy to use.  At the shell
try,

  gedit test.m

or

  kate test.m

where test.m is your m-file.  If these programs are not
installed, you can install them with Debian's apt-get

  apt-get update; apt-get install gedit kate

If you want to remain in the shell when editing your m-file, you
can try Emacs or vim or any of the other terminal-based text
editors.

Steve