Re: New Octave for Windows sourceforge release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: New Octave for Windows sourceforge release
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:43:05 -0500

It is reasonable for a packager to include some small customization in
the system-wide octaverc file.  But if changes need to be made to
edit.m for one OS or another, then those changes should be done in a
way that edit.m will work on any OS so that it can be distributed with
all versions of Octave and just work.  Having a special version for
one package seems bad to me as the two (or more) versions will likely
diverge over time.  So please, if you are packaging Octave and you
find that you need to modify code that is distributed as a part of
Octave, report the problem so that we can agree on a way to fix the
problem for all users, not just the users of your package.

jwe