Re: New Octave for Windows sourceforge release

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: New Octave for Windows sourceforge release
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:54:32 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Bill Denney wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Doug Stewart wrote:
>
> > I have used this release, and I like it!
> > I will be using this now for my students instead of Andy Adler's 2.1.14
> > version.
>
> It will be nice to have them have a more recent version.  It probably
> wasn't good advertising for us if they have a version that old.

My version is 2.1.42 and is about 4 years old. I'll be changing my
web page to send people to a newer version soon (when the term ends
and I can get a breath)

OTOH, one advantage of the package I made was that it was very small
(ie <4MB for a complete octave + tools). To get this small size I used
a static link of octave + octave-forge. This niche is still unfilled
in octave for windows installs.

> Should we just do a special test for /cygdrive/ in the path name of the
> editor and return a path with /cygwin (or better-- finding the actual
> directory to cygwin)?

This is way too complicated and will actually disadvantage the user.
The user should be able to use any editor they like - cygwin or not.

The correct way is to let the user choose the editor (via the EDITOR
variable) during the install process. Then we run it with any '\'
changed to '/'. This will work for *nix or windows.

ie
   export EDITOR="C:/windows/system32/notepad.exe"
   octave

--
Andy Adler <address@hidden> 1(613)562-5800x6218