Is there a way to run octave offline?

From: Mohamed El Dawy
Subject: Is there a way to run octave offline?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:40:05 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
 I am pretty new to octave. I was wondering, is there a way to run octave totally offline. I need to invoke it from within my program, and grab the results Octave will print to process in my program.

I see that running "octave filename", processes the commands in that file, but how can I get the output file? Does octave print to stdout?

Thank you very much for all the help.