Re: Install 2.1.73 on Mac OS X 10.4?

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Install 2.1.73 on Mac OS X 10.4?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:40:13 -0700

on 3/27/06 6:55 AM, Vic Norton at address@hidden wrote:

> I'm running the Octave 2.1.71 on my Mac now, the High Performance
> Computing version <http://hpc.sourceforge.net/>. I'd like to install
> version 2.1.73, but "./configure" concludes with
>    checking size of short... configure: error: cannot compute
>    sizeof   (short), 77
>
> Does anyone know how to correct this problem? As far as I know the
> latest versions of gcc4 and g77 are installed in my computer.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Vic

Vic,

As you are probably well aware, Apple keeps rearranging the furniture in its
own version of gcc to suit its own needs. OS X is built with Apple's version
of gcc (although I think OS X 10.4 was built with the previous gcc-3.3
configuration, not with the gcc-4.0.x that it ships with Xcode). In its
developer tools, Apple both rearranges the libraries between versions of its
Xcode Tools, and leaves out some things that would be useful for builds of
open source software. This is a major reason that I have stayed with OS X
10.3.9 so far, but it's about time for me to move forward.

My suggestion would be for us to contact Gaurav Khanna who runs the HPC
website, and see if he could help us. He has been very adept at adapting to
Apple's latest changes. He could then possibly post our octave-2.1.73
results on his website in the easy-to-install binary form that he uses.

I'll forward a copy of this e-mail to him, and ask if he is available to
assist.

Joe