Re: configure problem

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: configure problem
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 13:35:26 -0800 (PST)

--- Quentin Spencer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Michael Schmid wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I try to compile octave 2.9.4 on ubuntu-linux ...
> > but I get some errors in ./configure ...
> >
> > configure:25031: result: no
> > configure:25050: WARNING: I couldn't find -ltermcap, -lterminfo,
> > -lncurses, -lcurses, or -ltermlib!
> > configure:25066: checking for rl_set_keyboard_input_timeout in -lreadline
> > configure:25104: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lreadline  -ldl
> > -lm  >&5
> > /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetnum'
> > /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgoto'
> > /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetflag'
> > /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `BC'
> > /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tputs'
> > /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `PC'
> > /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetent'
> > /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `UP'
> > /usr/local/lib/libreadline.so: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > configure:25110: $? = 1
> > configure: failed program was:
> > | /* confdefs.h.  */
> >
> > I don't know what is -ltermcap, -lterminfo, -lncurses ....
> > I have installed the ncurses libraries .. libncurses.so.5 or so ...
> > also installed is readline 4.3 and readline 5.xx
>

> In addition to the libraries themselves you need to install the
> development headers associated with them. Since Ubuntu is basically
> Debian, I assume they all have -dev extensions, so you need to install
> termcap-dev, etc.
>
> -Quentin

I have found that the easiest way to identify necessary development libraries
on Debian/Ubuntu is to download the source package for a version of octave
already available in the repositories.  For example, "apt-get source octave2.1"
will download the source package for octave2.1 in your current directory.
Check the file with the ".dsc" extension, as this gives all the prerequisites
to build the package.

Another approach is "sudo apt-get build-depends octave2.1".  This automates the
installation of the build dependencies for the octave2.1 package.  Most likely
this will pick up the build dependencies (or at least most of them) for your
octave 2.9.4 build as well.