Fwd: Plotting problems

From: Lee Fleming
Subject: Fwd: Plotting problems
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:16:24 +0000

Hi.

I've recently discovered octave and think it could be what i'm looking for.

I've come accross a problem using multi plot tho.

When i do a
figure(1)

Then plot something
Then:
figure(2)

Then plot something else.

If i then go back to figure 1
figure(1)

and then try to zoom this plot, using the mouse in the plot window.
The plot from figure 2 is drawn on figure 1.

Has anyone come accross this before or knows how to fix it??

I'm running Gentoo Linux, GNU Octave, version 2.1.69, gnuplot 4.0 patchlevel 0.

I've done alot of googleing on this and haven't found much.

I've read that octave writes temp file with the data then uses a pipe
for the commands to gnuplot to make it plot the temp file.

It looks like octave or gnuplot is not remembering which temp file
goes with which plot figure, and just using the last temp file.

Which describes how to send gnuplot the data through a pipe and
therefore no need for a temp file. This sounds to me like a cleaner
way of doing things.

But i did a uudecode and gunzip and got theis error:
gunzip: n-plot.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated

Does anyone know where i can find thses scripts?
Or even if there is now a better way of doing this as that post was from 1995.

I've also seen talk of different plot engines.

Is there a different plot program i could use?

What i am wanting to do is log some data on a test rig from work.
Then through octave load this data (i already wrote a script to do this)
Then use it as follows:
I will only be plotting 2D plots.
These will be normal 2D plots, descretes and enumerations. ( so would
like to be able to set the yaxis labes).
More than one line on a plot (obviously) like matlabs, hold on;
Plot in more than one window and zoom them (not using subplot - i want
to be able to move them around independently)

Thanks for any help
Lee