Re: new octave-forge release

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: new octave-forge release
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:32:11 -0500

On Mar 17, 2006, at 1:45 PM, Joe Koski wrote:

... For color images, bmpwrite (for Mac display
without X11) has problems:

ready to call bmpwrite
error: flipud: Only works with 2-d arrays
error: evaluating if command near line 48, column 3
error: called from `flipud' in file
`/usr/local/share/octave/2.1.72/m/general/flipud.m'

This is not unexpected because a color .jpg is read as a 3-D matrix. I
looked at bmpwrite, and it appears flipud and transpose need to be replaced with their 3-D equivalent (or break the image into three 2-D matrices for processing). I'd try but I don't know the desired .bmp color output format.
I can test changes to bmpwrite, if somebody suggests them.

I put a new bmpwrite which handles m x n x 3 images with RGB values in the range 0-255. Call it using bmpwrite(im,'file') rather than bmpwrite(im,colormap,'file'). I updated extra/MacOSX/image.m to use this new format.

Instead of displaying images in preview, we should be using gnuplot 4.1 plot with image function (http://www.gnuplot.info/links.html)

Since this may require an upgrade of gnuplot I will leave it to the mac/windows/linux packagers to sort out which version of image to use.

- Paul