Re: octave loop slowness ( was "")

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: octave loop slowness ( was "")
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 08:51:00 +0200

Jordi,

Please try to use a descriptive subject line when posting to this list.

Matlab used to be slow in loops, but now has JIT technology. This has been discussed here many times before:

http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2004/msg00744.html

http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2006/msg00853.html

http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2005/msg02597.html

and we even have this thread about trying to port JIT to octave

http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2004/msg01524.html

I think the overall conclusion is the JIT is very hard to do and octave project, which relies on volunteers, does not currently have the manpower to do it. Maybe you can help?

Shai

Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso wrote:
Of all the complaints I have heard about Octave, its slowness is the
one that stings the most painfully. Cuts deep. Real deep.

So, I'm interested to know, any idea why this is happening? Why would
a simple for loop with no code to execute except running through all
the values of its iterator take orders of magnitude more in Octave
than in Matlab?

Where are these benchmarks?

- JGH