Re: [OctDev] Re: Oddmuse Passwords (was Re: Website Updates) (fwd)

From: Miquel Cabanas
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Re: Oddmuse Passwords (was Re: Website Updates) (fwd)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:02:00 +0100

(shame on me for not completing my self-imposed home work, it's a lame
excuse, but if it help to indulge on me... these are rather hectic
times)

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 09:02 -0600, Joshua Rigler wrote:
> Maybe this has already been suggested/tried, but what about using some
> sort of free/open source CAPTCHA program?

late January I contacted the author of the wiki server used by Octave
wiki about this issue. See below my message and his reply. Briefly, his
advice is against that sort of access control. Indeed, after doing some
research on the subject, I found that it's a bullet vs shield head to
head race, and that there's freely available code that defaces the
simpler ones, while the difficult ones are difficult too for humans. He
proposed instead,

1. blacklisting URL
2. smart questions asker extension, already available for his wiki
server. The asker distinguishes human from bots by posing a random
question chosen from a list. See the oddmuse link below for an example.

Miquel