Re: fast poisson variates

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: fast poisson variates
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:32:51 -0500

On 16-Mar-2006, Michael Creel wrote:

| This sort of duplicated functionality, with the better version being in
| o-f rather than in Octave itself is no doubt a source of confusion for
| new users. and for more experienced users with bad memories. :-)

Yes, and we are mostly trying to eliminate the overlap.  There are
ways you can help to make this happen faster.  Complaining about the
problem here is not really one of them.

| Is the o-f version of rand in 2.9.4? I can't remember!

If the Octave Forge version of rand were simply faster but produced
exactly the same results as the current rand function in Octave, and
the code was acceptable from a maintenance standpoint (not sure, I
haven't looked, but want you to understand that speed, number of
features, and compatibility are not the only criteria) then it would
be a no-brainer to include it.  But it changes the behavior, and some
people like to be able to reproduce their results for "random"
simulations.  So we need a reasonable way to include the new function
while still.  OTOH, since 2.9.x is breaking a number of other backward
compatibility things, maybe I should not care too much about this one
particular function.

jwe