Re: Octave 2.9 and Octave-forge

From: Keith Goodman
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9 and Octave-forge
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:59:08 -0800

On 3/14/06, Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to ask questions about
> octave-forge, but maybe you can help me anyways.
>
> I was using Octave 2.1 since that's what the Debian APT system
> installed by default when I apt-got installed octave (unqualified by a
> version number). Looking over its documentation, I noticed that it was
> six years or so out of date, so I decided to upgrade to Octave 2.9
> (.4, to be precise), which I hope is in a better stage of development.
> Thinking that I didn't need the old octave 2.1 anymore, I apt-got
> removed all traces of Octave 2.1, which to my surprise also removed
> octave-forge, which lists Octave 2.1 as a dependency.
>
> My question is this: is this a real dependency or a peculiarity of
> Debian's APT system? Do I really need to be using an outdated version
> of Octave if I want to be using the user-supplied and reputedly not as
> good quality functions from octave-forge? Seems strange, but version
> imcompatiblity is not unheard of in these realms.

I also noticed that removing 2.1 on Debian etch removes octave-forge.
Maybe the Octave Debian maintainers will know why

http://pkg-octave.alioth.debian.org/

I don't think that 2.9.4 contains a new Octave manual. But it does
contain a lot of nice new features. Once you start using 2.9.4, it is
hard to go back to 2.1.72.