Re: How do you find curvature of "splattered" data?

From: Michael Creel
Subject: Re: How do you find curvature of "splattered" data?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:30:55 +0000

If you use a high degree polynomial, the fit will be a copy of your data. Choosing the degree is a modeling problem. Another possibility is to use a kernel smoother, where the smoothing parameter can be chosen using data-based rules.
Michael

Robert A. Macy wrote:
Quentin,

an arc, hmmm...interesting concept.

But I think what I need is a polynomial fit to splattered
data.
Where the solution would be a single curved line drawn as a
"best" fit through the set of data.
The curve can be relative to the center of the data set.

           - Robert -

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 15:05:19 -0600