Re: Octave in industry, research labs, and elsewhere

From: Ludovic Pénet
Subject: Re: Octave in industry, research labs, and elsewhere
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 19:59:08 +0100

Le lundi 13 mars 2006 à 09:10 -0800, Steve C. Thompson a écrit :
> Group,
>
> Recently, the thread ``Octave in Universities'' asked
> if there is ``a list on the web of universities using
> octave.''  Many have responded and a ``Who Uses
> Octave'' list is being compiled which will be placed on
> the Octave webpage.  It would be good to get
> testimonials of all the different types of GNU Octave
> users, not just those in academia but those in
> industry, research labs, and elsewhere.
At MIST Technologies, a French start-up developping sound processing
technologies, Octave is the main tool of the research team. It is used
to develop algorithms which are converted in C/C++ versions by the
development team once they are ok. Those C/C++ versions are
automatically wrapped using a slightly adapted version of matwrap. Doing
so, we can use the same algorithms in our C/C++ only applications and in
octave functions used by our reseach team and so have to maintain onlye
one version.

The reason we prefered Octave to other tools is that it allowed import
of legacy matlab code when we started the company three year ago.

Octave is a great tool and we have only one (slight) problem with it :
the fact that liboctave is licensed under the GPL rather than the LGPL :
that forced us to redevelop some Matrix/Vector/... classes and to
reimplement a couple of functions.

Best regards,

Ludovic