Problems reading photo input

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Problems reading photo input
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:34:54 -0700

Now that the image processing routines appear to be working via
ImageMagick-6.2.6, I thought I'd try some tests. I'm using octave-2.1.72
with octave-forge-2006.01.28 on my Mac with OS X 10.3.9.

There seems to be a problem with imread. For example, if I

  octave:1> pix=imread("Full-fire-later-2.tiff");

I get a 3D array of the appropriate size

  octave:2> size(pix)
  ans =

  1032   689     3

but most of the elements of the pix matrix are numerically equal to 255
(except for a few that are zero). This occurs with 2D gray scale images,
color images, .jpg, .ppm, .tiff, etc. The resulting image.m output displays
an appropriately uniform image (black, white, or a single color).

Other than no useful data, I get no error messages or warnings from imread.
The original input images display correctly in PhotoShop, GraphicConverter,
Preview, and even the ImageMagick display routine. If I read data via a
simple 2D gray scale data matrix, image.m gives the correct display.

What am I missing? What do I try next? Any suggestions will be appreciated,
and a small (104 KB) test image file is available on request.

Joe