Re: new to octave - need help with running user-defined function files

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: new to octave - need help with running user-defined function files
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:48:25 -0700

on 3/11/06 7:53 AM, John W. Eaton at address@hidden wrote:

> On 10-Mar-2006, Joe Koski wrote:
>
> | Watch text line endings though, octave recognizes only UNIX line
> | endings, not Mac line endings.
>
> That should not be true, at least for text files, and Octave should be
> opening .m files and ascii data files in text mode, not binary mode.
> In what cases does Octave not handle CR-only as a line ending on Mac
> OS X?
>
> jwe

John,

I just tried again. I saved an octave script with Mac (CR) line endings
instead of UNIX (LF) line endings. When I tried to execute the script I got
the following:

octave:1> run_recess_butter_mac
error: invalid character `\r' (ASCII 13) near line 1, column 28
parse error near line 1 of file /Users/jakoski/Codes/Recession Rate
Calculations/run_recess_butter_mac.m

At least now octave explains the problem. When I first encountered the
issue, several octave versions back, all I got was the parse error message.
That confused me because I could see nothing wrong with the line in the
editor.

Joe