Re: Octave for Windows HOWTO

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave for Windows HOWTO
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:14:31 -0500

On 10-Mar-2006, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| One thing that often needlessly shows up in octave's dependency chain is
| tetex. This is because octave needs makeinfo for its help documentation.
| makeinfo is a relatively small program that's usually packaged as a part
| of a bigger texinfo package, which requires tetex, which often requires
| a big font package. This accounted for a lot of extra downloading the
| last time I tried a cygwin installation. I would check to make sure
| tetex is not installed, and if you wanted to go one step further, you
| could remove everything included in the texinfo package except makeinfo.
| I think breaking up packages like this could be controversial with
| people who understand and use cygwin, but I think the intended audience
| of your windows installer would not care.

I think perhaps we should lobby for splitting makeinfo out of the
texinfo packages on all systems since it does not require TeX to work,
and it is useful by itself, so some people (like us) might want to
install makeinfo without having to install all of TeX.  Would someone
like to take up that cause?

jwe