Re: ... makes a difference

From: Steve C. Thompson
Subject: Re: ... makes a difference
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:30:44 -0800

On 08 Mar 06 14:27PM, Gorazd Brumen wrote:
> I think this compatibility with Matlab is sometimes driving
> things the wrong way.

Agreed.

> Some unlogical behavior for the sake of compatibility with
> matlab.

Agreed.

> But what about the problem with users not using Matlab having
> to debug the apparently illogical behavior in octave?

What if the developers for Octave strayed a bit from the Matlab
compatibility constraint, solving these annoying issues.  It
seems that this has been happening since, for example, Octave's
parcer goes above and beyond Matlab's.  At each point where
Octave diverges, the developers can take note, and develop in
parallel a `compatibility checker' utility.  If the Octave user
needs to send a script to a Matlab user, he runs

  compatibility checker, please check my_file.m

which will tell the Octave user what needs to be changed to make
my_file.m run in Matlab.  I think that this kind of thing is
being done already (e.g., warn_matlab_incompatible).  This might
be a naive suggestion since I'm no developer...just a thought
though.

It would be interesting to know how many people use Octave
full-time, who use Octave with Matlab, and so forth.

Steve