passing functions handles to functions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: passing functions handles to functions
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:49:43 -0500

On  8-Mar-2006, Christophe Prud'homme wrote:

| is there a general rule in octave regarding passing function handles  ?

No, they should work in all cases where function handles would work in
Matlab, but there are some gaps in the implementation of all these
features.

| like you can pass only functions handles of functions defined using
| 'function' ?
| or does it depend on the function using the function handle like fzero ?
| or am I missing something ?

Probably only that just because Octave behaves in a certain way now
does not mean that it is intended to be that way.  Sometimes there are
bugs or missing features that people would like to have fixed.
Sometimes the only reason the problems are not fixed yet is because no
one has had the time or motivation to do the necessary work.  It's not
as though we have an army of programmers we can throw at all these
problems.  Nearly everyone working on Octave is a volunteer, and we
could use more help.

jwe