xvloadimage with imagesc and colormap

From: Mike Miller
Subject: xvloadimage with imagesc and colormap
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:13:14 -0600 (CST)

I'm finding it tricky to make an imagesc() plot with a particular colormap and save it in a file (I want PNG but can get to that from some other format if necessary). I think maybe imagesc() doesn't respect the colormap, but if I try to use image(), or imshow(), the image is just solid black. My colormap is grayscale. I could just use colormap("default"), and I tried it but it didn't work. The commmand "imagesc(X,1)" makes a reasonable image but it isn't using my colormap.

If I want to save an imagesc() image to a file, what do I have to do? It isn't using gnuplot, so the usual __gnuplot_set__ methods don't work.

In case it matters, I'm running Octave 2.1.71 under Linux with Octave Forge and I don't have xv or ImageMagick installed, but I do have xloadimage.

Mike