... makes a difference

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: ... makes a difference
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 09:22:49 -0500

On  7-Mar-2006, Peter Lempel Søndergaard wrote:

| Dear list,
|
| typing
|
| [1,
|  2]
|
| in a script file gives
|
| ans =
|
|   1
|   2
|
| while typing
|
| [1,...
|  2]
|
| gives
|
| ans =
|
|   1 2
|
| In my mind, both examples should produce the second output.

But then Octave's behavior would be incompatible with Matlab, and
other people would surely complain about that when code they try to
port to Octave fails to work the same way it did in Matlab.

| Is this documented somewhere? I am using octave 2.1.72

If it is not documented, please help us by providing a patch to the
Octave manual.  The likely location is the section on matrices, with a
cross reference to the section on continuation lines.

Thanks,

jwe