Re: new octave

From: Maarten D. de Jong
Subject: Re: new octave
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 05:49:55 -0600

Below is an example of a m file with three options. Tell me which one you
like more, or tell me about any better idea.

How about no extra symbols at all and use automatic concatenation as is the case with many C-compilers? Quite frankly, I think it is the job of the machine to figure out what to do when a line without a fully parsed statement is encountered---and putting in ... or \ makes no difference whatsoever: what is the difference between ...\n, \\n or \n?

Oh, and if you are working on a new syntaxis, please make sure that it parses things like 'fgets(1)[1]' or perhaps '(fgets(1))[1]' too. I consider it a waste of interpreter time and effort to write 'a = fgets(1); a = a[1];'. But that's probably me :-).

With kind regards,
Maarten