Re: What should be the extension of octave files?

From: kamaraju kusumanchi
Subject: Re: What should be the extension of octave files?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:05:16 -0500

Sorry I forgot to ask the actual question I started out with.

What should be the extension of octave files when the octave programs are not compatible with matlab? Should it always be .m or can it be something else?

For example, in matlab the function definitions look like

function name
 body
end

The above syntax works just fine in Octave. In fact, I'd encourage you to use that syntax unless there's a good reason not to. This way, your code is easier to port back to Matlab when the need arises.

I provided the above case just as an example. But everyone is picking out on the example rather than on my actual question. May be it is in the way I phrased the question.

Is there any separate extension that should be given to octave files which are incompatible with matlab files?

It makes sense to have a .m extension if the octave file is compatible with matlab. But if it is incompatible what is the point of having a .m extension? We might as well have a octave specific extension say .oct indicating outright that the file is incompatible with matlab.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/