Re: Text editing question

From: Steve C. Thompson
Subject: Re: Text editing question
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:09:49 -0800

On 23 Feb 06 08:56AM, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> I think (in both the above cases) the necessary indentation files are
> not sourced properly. Let's try another method.
>
> open the file by using -u NONE option
>
> $gvim -u NONE temp/test2.m
>
> Then paste your unindented code
>
> Then source the appropriate matlab indentation files ...
>
> :so /usr/share/vim/vim64/indent/matlab.vim
>
> Then select all the lines with V or v or mouse etc., and then press =
>
> Let me know if this works.

Consider:

go = 1;
while
for j = 1 : 10
for i = 1 : 10
a = i;
b = j;
end
end
end

On my system [Kubuntu 5.10 (breezy); VIM - Vi IMproved 6.3,
Included patches: 1-78], using .../indent/matlab.vim, along with

  set expandtab
  set tabstop=2
  set shiftwidth=2

results in:

go = 1;
while
  for j = 1 : 10
    for i = 1 : 10
      a = i;
      b = j;
end
end
end

For some reason, the ends don't get properly indented.  The
octave.vim script
(http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1241) seems to
only provide syntax support for endif, endwhile, and so forth.
But, from my testing, it doesn't help with indenting.

Steve

PS:

> Why are you asking this question here?
One sticking point for Matlab users is abandoning Matlab's text
editor.  Currently, Octave doesn't exactly have a GUI equivalent.
Personally, I get by fine (I think better) running Octave in
terminals, using Vim as my primary text editor.  But this doesn't
appeal to everyone.

Starting the thread here, I think, is appropriate since it falls
in the category of helping Matlab users become GNU Octave users.